5 Foundations of a perfect Smartphone
Everyone is searching for that one smartphone which we can call "The perfect smartphone." The truth is no perfect smartphone has ever existed or will exist in future. There will always be some minor flaw, which will stop it from becoming the best smartphone. The smartphones which we use today are excellent, but there is always a "but." The smartphones have gotten smart, but they will never be perfect.The definition of the term perfect is always changing. Every smartphone is a result of changes it has made over the year. To be honest, no buy is a definite buy, but here we will help you in making an excellent selection, if not the perfect.
We have come a long way, but we need to go more
Phones now have display far better than our laptops and TVs. With insanely bright AMOLED display and mind-blowingly high pixel, they are a treat to watch. The amount of hardware they squeeze in such small body is also no small engineering feat. Phones now have quad-core processors coupled with 8GB of ultra fast RAM, that to built on 10 nm fabrication process. They surpassed every feat of engineering possible. Smartphone cameras have almost replaced point and shoot cameras with their excellent sensor and low light performance. Smartphones look like pieces of jewelry still functions more or similar to a computer. Metal and glass have become a standard part of smartphones build. Still, if someone asks about a smartphone which they should buy, there is a bunch of options with excellent features. Nevertheless, each suggestion ends with a "but."
A combination of the following makes a smartphone great if not greatest.
- Great Camera
- The dual camera is becoming the industry standard. So make sure to buy a smartphone with it. If you are not into too much photography then single camera setup will also do ok.
- Great Display
- Bezels are now vanishing from the phone screen. And the quad HD resolution and AMOLEDs has become standard. The excellent contrast ratio and deepest blacks have made LCD redundant in 2017.
- Great Battery
- Consider buying a phone with at least 3000 mAh battery. A single full charge should give you one full day of usage. The iPhone will give you excellent backup even with its mere 1760 mAh battery because of excellent software optimisation. With smartphones becoming powerful and brighter their power consumption has increased significantly. So, make sure that you don't have to carry a charger and cable where ever you go.
- Great Build
- Phones are built like a tank inside and luxury watch outside. Go with metal or glass exterior, depending on your taste. You will get together with your phone more than anything else, even your girlfriend, so please be sure you are comfortable using it.
- Great Performance
- Even if you have the latest and fastest hardware, there is no use of it if your software is not able to use it. Make sure you buy a smartphone which has latest Android and also guaranteed future updates. iOS devices generally don't have this problem because of their excellent support ecosystem.
Let's have a look at the best smartphones available in the market and their "but." Because looking at what they don't have is easy than what they have.
- Samsung S8/ S8 plus
- Beautiful design with a gorgeous screen and great specifications to compliment it. This phone is the closest thing to "Perfect Smartphone ". The software here 'The 'Touchwhiz' is a letdown, and new Samsung voice assistant doesn't help either. Battery life is mediocre, placement of fingerprint sensor is not very ergonomic.
- One plus 5
- Excellent hardware and build quality at a good price. However, the design seems to be somewhat outdated. There is no support for a memory card, and dash charging is proprietary technology.
- iPhone 7/ 7 Plus
- Great performance, great camera with excellent water resistant body. the omission of the headphone jack is a letdown. The design is three years old, even though we don't have any complaints. The new iPhone is around the corner, if you want to know about it check our detailed analysis of speculated features of iPhone X/iPhone8
- Google Pixel/Pixel XL
- It has Andriod as it should be, along with guaranteed updates. The design lacks innovation. The omission of water resistance also can be deal Baker.
- LG G6
- It has a brilliant display with 18:9 aspect ratio. Water resistant display along with the body. The dual camera setup is also good. But the design is industrial. Battery life is not at par with other flagships. The LG customizations are also not easy to get familiar with.
Comparison of the best options available in the market
|GALAXY S8||GOOGLE PIXEL||LG G6||IPHONE 7||One+ 5|
|Battery||3,000mAh||2,770mAh||3,300mAh||1,960mAh||Li-Po 3300 mAh|
|CPU||2.3GHz octa-core||2.15GHz quad-core||2.35GHz quad-core||2.34GHz quad-core||Octa core (2.45 GHz, Quad core, Kryo 280 + 1.9 GHz, Quad core, Kryo 280)|
|Front-facing cam||8MP||8MP, f/2.4, 1.4µm pixel size||5MP, f/2.2||7MP, f/2.2||16 MP, f/2.0|
|GPU||Adreno 540||Adreno 530||Adreno 530||PowerVR Series 7XT GT7600 Plus||Adreno 540|
|Internal storage||64GB||32/128GB||32GB||32/128/256GB||64/128 GB|
|Known dimensions||148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm||143.84 x 69.54 x 7.31mm||148.84 x 71.88 x 7.87mm||138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1mm||154.2 x 74.1 x 7.3 mm|
|Notable features||Iris scanning, fingerprint sensor, IP68 certified, USB Type-C||Fingerprint sensor, IP53 certified, USB Type-C||Fingerprint sensor, IP68 certified, MIL-STD-810G-tested shock resistant, USB Type-C||Touch ID, IP67 certified, Lightning connector||Fast battery charging (Dash Charge), fingerprint sensor, USB Type-C|
|Operating system||Android 7.0||Android 7.1||Android 7.0||iOS 10||Android 7.1|
|Pricing||India - ₹64,900.00 Internaional||India ₹57000 MRP||India ₹55,000 MRP||₹ 56,200 MRP $649,||India - ₹32999 MRP|
|Rear camera||12MP, f/1.7||12.3MP, f/2.0, 1.55µm pixel size||Dual cameras: 13MP, f/1.8; 13MP, f/2.4||12MP, f/1.8||Dual 16 MP, f/1.7 & 20 MP, f/2.6|
|Screen resolution||2,960 x 1,440 (570ppi)||1,920 x 1,080 (441 ppi)||2,880 x 1,440 (564 ppi)||1,334 x 750 (326 ppi)||1080 x 1920 pixels (401 ppi)|
|Screen size||5.8 inches||5.0 inches||5.7 inches||4.7 inches||5.5 inches|
|Screen type||Quad HD+ AMOLED||Full HD AMOLED||QHD Plus LCD with DolbyVision HDR||Retina HD||Optic AMOLED|
|SoC||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835||Qualcomm Snapdragon 821||Qualcomm Snapdragon 821||Apple A10 Fusion||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Video capture||4K||4K at 30fps||4K at 120fps||4K at 30fps||4K at 30fps|
|WiFi||Dual band, 802.11ac||Dual band, 802.11ac||Dual band, 802.11ac||Dual band, 802.11ac||Dual band, 802.11ac|